September 8, 2021
Thank you for showing up! Through our up-coming community-geared events, we will continue with our mission to Love God, Love People. You can join us through any of the following:
- September 12 – Baby Shower for Mandalena Mumbaluma. We will start at 3:30pm. She is registered at Target: https://www.target.com/gift-registry/gift/oh-baby-its-a-little-lady. Please RSVP to Esther: 308.214.0902 ***If you would like to contribute to the large group gift, please contact Melissa Baskett ASAP.
- September 17 6-8pm Youth Night
- September 18 – Haystacks Potluck – 12:30pm The North Cascade Spanish Church is joining us that day for our service and for lunch! Chips, beans and cheese will be provided by our church so please see the Sign Up Sheet in the Foyer and sign up to bring some ingredients :). Remember to bring your contributions already sliced/cut/prepared to serve. The kitchen will be potluck staff only and they will not be available to prep your food.
- September 18 – Annual Pie Contest – 7pm We will start with a vespers and then move into Pie Tasting before we auction off all of our pies! Last year we raised about $700 towards maintenance and renewal of our atrium. We found that there is a lot more work needed and so we are again raising funds for our atrium. $5 cover charge per person will be applied towards any pie that you purchase (up to a $5 value)! Pie makers do not pay admission if they bring TWO identical Pies, one for tasting, one for auction. Prizes awarded for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place! We’ll start with Vespers at 7pm. Tasting & voting starts at 7:15pm; short intermission at 7:45pm with a fun activity; Auction starts at 8pm. Pie Contest (2021)
- September 24 5:30-8pm NEXT Gen Night
- September 25 – Farewell Potluck for Pastor Bri – Pastor Bri has gotten married and has accepted a position at Kirkland Adventist Academy. September 25 is her last Sabbath to worship with us and we want to send her off with all the love and well-wishes we can. If you haven’t already and would like to get her a wedding gift, here is their registry: https://www.zola.com/registry/brianaandjohn2021 or you can bring a card/gift card combo.
- September 26 – Wedding Shower for Kelcy Dodd – 3pm Kelcy and Leighton Dodd were married August 24th! Registry and more details to come.
- October 2 – Potluck
- October 2 – Pop Up Compassion Event tentatively scheduled for after our potluck. Stay tuned for details!
- October 3 – Church Work Bee – 2-5pm Please save the date and help us clean, organize and beautify our church. Snacks and refreshments served.
Small Groups – Please join one of your local groups. Contact the office for a group near you or on Zoom. (Concrete, Sedro-Woolley, Mount Vernon, Camano & Zoom)
WOW – Worship on Wednesdays Join us weekly
6pm- Simple Supper – Join us for supper before we pray together :).
7pm – Prayer Meeting (Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 847 9962 2752 Passcode: Prayer)
Sep 17th Friday Youth Night 12yrs+ – Game Night Join us for a games, pizza, and homemade ice cream!
Sep 24th Friday Next Gen Night 8yrs-11yrs – Movie Night Join us for a movie, pizza, and homemade ice cream!
Sep 25th Children’s Church – Runs concurrent with our Worship Service from 11am-12pm in the Gymnasium.
Our next Pop Up Compassion Event In the meantime, please consider gathering small items that we can give away at these events. This past event we had tiny hand sanitizers, boxed protein drinks, masks, personal care items (wool socks, flushable wipes) etc. Please contact Sarah Vogt for more information.
October 2 (tent) – Compassion Event Pop-Up Come help us share Jesus after church. More details soon! Contact Sarah Vogt to volunteer.
If you would like to volunteer to work with our children/youth, please contact Pastor Bri through her email: email@example.com.
Movie Night – September 21 6:30pm in the Youth Room
Band of Brothers – men’s MINISTRIES
Last Tuesday morning of each month: Breakfast at Mr. T’s 8am, 503 W. Fir St., Mount Vernon.
If you would like to volunteer to work with our children/youth, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in volunteering in any capacity here at the church, there are plenty of ways to help out. Please contact me: email@example.com.
- Children’s Story
- Corporate Prayer
- Atrium Care/Landscaping Maintenance
Life Recovery – It’s for EVERYONE
How many of us are dealing with this frantic pace of life? Grief? Finances? Relationship Struggles? Stress? Perfectionism? Our group’s mission is to bring the power of Jesus to those hurting, through recovery. In exchange we know that Hope, Security, Clarity, Wisdom, Self-Control, Happiness and so much more are attainable with Life Recovery. Skagit Valley Recovery meets here on Wednesdays at 6:30pm. They also meet on Thursdays at North Cascade SDA Church at 6:30pm.
12 – Step Class – Begins September 14th and meets Tuesdays. Please pre-register with Patricia: 360.333.0565. Class materials fee is $30. These classes are segregated for men and women. Women’s Classes: 10am-12pm; 2-4pm or 6-8pm. Men’s Classes: 6-8pm.
Boundaries Class – This class is open to all, but you must pre-register with Patricia: 360.333.0565 and purchase your own Boundaries book & participant guide. Class begins September 13th. Class runs from 6:30-8pm each Monday evening. Class meets at North Cascade SDA Church.
Skagit Adventist academy
Skagit Adventist Academy has 90 elementary students and 36 high school students in attendance this year!
Upcoming Calendar Events
September 3 – Half-Day, classes dismiss at 11:30 am
September 6 – No School, Labor Day
Substitute Teachers Wanted
Do you have experience teaching in the classroom? Skagit Adventist Academy is looking for a substitute teacher for the 2021-22 school year. Please contact the school office at 360-755-9261 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Thank you for your ongoing support of our Academy! Please contact the school office for more opportunities to support (teacher support, school needs, etc): 360-755-9261
Around the Valley
Cascade Eagles Pathfinders
If you missed Pathfinder registration, that is ok, you can still register! If you are interested in Pathfinders, but not sure, you are welcome to stop by any Tuesday evening (6:30-8:00pm @ SAA gym) between now and 9/21/21, to check us out and see all the FUN you are missing out on! 🙂 Registration is open until 9/21/21, after that you will have to wait until next year to join! If you have questions or would like to visit please email Jeremy and Kristi Schmidt: CascadeEaglesPathfinders@gmail.com
Crossroads Youth Ranch – A trauma-informed equine therapy program designed to empower youth who are at risk or have been sexually exploited to heal, grow, and thrive. Currently offering a day program with a bold next step goal of opening a full-time residential facility. Learn more about CrossRoads and how you can become a dedicated supporter of this mission.
You’re invited! Musical artist, Marie DeHaan, presents her original showcase of music along with a dynamic mix of contemporary worship music. The original music tells the story of those who have been exploited, but quickly turns to the story of redemption and victory over the darkness. An evening well worth attending to learn more about CrossRoads Youth Ranch and to celebrate that there is a beautiful solution to a difficult situation. Benefit Concert by Marie DeHaan
Community Action’s current events Click here: Updates from Community Action
There are many ways to get involved here at Family Promise of Skagit Valley. Sign up for one of the Family Mentor Trainings we offer each month! SignUp Genius (https://www.signupgenius.com/go/904084badab2aabfa7-april)
Habitat for Humanity of Skagit – https://skagithabitat.com/
C.A.R.E. Medical Center (previously Pregnancy Choices) – C.A.R.E. Medical Center
Skagit County Public Health – Skagit County Public Health and Community Services
County Launches New Rental Assistance Online Portal for Skagitonians –Rental Assistance – Housing: You may be eligible for assistance
Family Resource Center – Help Me Grow Skagit
Financial Mentoring Classes: If you (or you and your spouse) would like to dig a little deeper into what the Bible says about smart household money management; AND if you would like to confidentially discuss your situation with a financial mentor who can help you put together a budget and plan for getting out of debt, then call the Love INC office as soon as possible (360 419-7061). Classes begin Wednesday, September 15th– March 2022, and will be held at Emmanuel Baptist Church in Mount Vernon. NOW is the time to get organized and begin to turn things around. Space is very limited this year!
Spruced Up Thrift Store – We ARE REQUIRING masks. Our store hours are M-Th 10:00am – 4:00pm. Donations of clothing and housewares are accepted at the store during normal hours M-W.Follow our Facebook Page to get important updates about events and sales!
Remembering Bill Ellison, the Marching Man of Pathfinders
Bill Ellison, family man and Pathfinder leader for generations of young people, passed away July 31, 2020, from pneumonia associated with Alzheimer’s. His family postponed memorial services because of the pandemic, yet still would like to honor his life and investment in family and young people. The Ellison family will hold a Pathfinder-themed memorial service for Bill on October 2, 2021, at Bonney Lake Church at 3 pm. Janice and family are requesting donations in Bill’s memory to Bonney Lake Pathfinder Club in lieu of flowers. If you are able to attend the memorial in person, you are invited to wear your Pathfinder uniform or sash in his honor. You are also welcome to email memories of Bill to email@example.com.
The Adventist Book Center – Adventist Book Center Online – Adventist Books, Music and Media The ABC Bookmobile will visit Mount Vernon SDA Church on September 19th 2:15-2:45pm and November 7 2:15-2:45pm. Please contact them at least three days prior to the event for orders: (253) 833-6707